Keeping Fitness FUNKY
As we settle into fall, I realize, we are fortunate to live in a time where being fit is not just for athletes and celebrities; it’s essential to improving our quality of life. Health initiatives and increase of chronic illness have helped to shed light on the benefits of being physically active. As a result, there has been a boost in the fitness industry to create new forms of activities; how can one keep up with the trends. I personally love to see all the new dance crazes that come along. Whether it is Latin, hip hop, or jazz dance inspired,Americais moving to some beat and I love it!! You may not be a seasoned dancer or ready to join the fitness dance craze but have no fear, I am here with 10 ways to keep your fitness routine fresh and FUNKY! So take a moment… close your eyes and put your thinking cap on because we are going on a FUNKY ride.
1) Treat yourself to some new funky fitness attire. A little retail therapy won’t hurt especially, if it will bring a spark to your workout. Make a statement with some colorful shoes for that morning run or groovy pattern top for your next yoga class.
2) Join a local recreation sports league. Many gyms, local recreation centers, and community organizations currently offer adult sports leagues and clubs. It is a great way to try something new, broaden your social network, and stimulate your competitive edge all while having fun. It may take a little research to see what is available in your area but it will totally be worth your while.
3) Try a new class or equipment at the gym. Do you go to the gym that same time everyday just to use your favorite piece of equipment? Take the same aerobics class because you know the instructors teaching style so well it feels like your own? Over time our bodies adapt to certain movements, although it feels comfortable can be a hindrance to maximizing your workouts. Go ahead, bite the bullet and open yourself to something new. Who knows you might love it!!
4) Hire a personal trainer. If you aren’t already, personal training is a perfect way to keep your fitness routine funky! The knowledge and expertise of a trainer will keep your body doing things you never thought possible. For those who are already seeing a trainer, I suggest talking to your trainer about incorporating some new training tools into your sessions; TRX bands, sand bags, BOSU ball, and that’s just the beginning.
5) Throw a Pinterest party. Pinterest is a social phenomenon taking images to different heights. The health and fitness category is full of inspirational quotes, workouts, and new suggestions for pinners to try. Invite a few friends to bring one workout from Pinterest to share and collectively take turns leading each workout. After the hard work and a few laughs (there will be some), reward yourself with a healthy snack from Pinterest as well. If you don’t have an account, its easy to browse for free or request one. A good place to start would be the Hilton Head Health Pinterest page.
6) Support a cause. Fall marks the beginning of walks and 5K runs that donate money to local and national charities. Our success with Devin’s Dash afforded us the opportunity to raise thousands of money to send kids to Happiness is Camping. Registrations are often affordable and come with great t-shirts as a token for your support. If you feel inspired, you can create a team with co-workers, friends, or family to raise monies for the cause. An amazing way to make a huge impact!!
7) Volunteer with a youth sports team. Do you enjoy working with youth? Or looking for a way to give back to your community? Youth sports are always looking for coaches to volunteer their time and talent. As a youth track & field coach, I often enjoy motivating my athletes by doing drills and workouts with them. They get a kick out of racing me in 80 meter sprints. So imagine the possibility of playing basketball with an 8 year old half your size. If he shoots over your head while being in full defense stance you might have the next Michael Jordan in front of you!!
8) Revisit your childhood. Coaching youth is one way to visit your childhood. Another is playing game of kickball, foursquare, or freeze tag will make any adult feel 30 years younger. Round up your kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews and show them how you played back in the day before Wii and iPads!!
9) Discover the community attractions of a neighboring city. Larger and smaller communities are becoming more fitness friendly by adding bike trails, parks, and social events. It might take a little research and preplanning but the change of scenery will be rewarding physically and mentally.
10) Plan a Family Fitness Retreat. When was the last time your family did something creative together? Have you ever considered turning your home into a mini H3 for a weekend? Clear all your weekend plans and put the kids to the challenge by planning and preparing the events for the weekend. This is a great opportunity for family bonding and educating the kids on why your family chooses to live a healthy lifestyle. You will be AMAZED with what you find around the house to make this an inexpensive and memorable event. Have fun and take lots of pictures!!
Keeping fitness Funky will assist in enjoying the journey to achieve your weight loss and fitness goals. Hope you enjoyed the FUNKY ride, good luck!!