Before Taking the First Bite…
We all know how difficult it is to fight intense cravings or to break old habits of mindless eating. So, when you’re in those moments, what do you do? What do you do to avoid taking the first compulsive bite?
Mantras always help me, but I have to say them out loud. If I say them in my head without giving them a voice, they aren’t quite as powerful. Here are a few pocket responses when you feel yourself wanting to impulsively eat.
- I am one bite away from a binge.
- My choice is between unhappy eating or doing without just one small compulsive bite.
- Each time I face a situation without compulsively eating it becomes easier to make that choice again in the future.
- This will not make the situation better. One bite will make it worse and can lead to a binge.
- Do I want to give up the joy and serenity I’ve experienced from overcoming my battle with food for this?
- I can remember the misery, shame and guilt I experienced when compulsively eating and I won’t go back there.
- I can experience the gratitude of trading just one small compulsive bite for the happiness that freedom from food obsession provides me.
- I value my body so I won’t give into my childish tantrum for unnecessary food.
- I am worth saying no to compulsive eating. I am worthy of happiness and freedom.
I’m serious about the pocket part. Put them on a card and carry them around in your pocket. You can pull out the card anytime you feel like compulsively or impulsively eating.