Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
by H3 Healthy Kitchen Assistant Chef Carrie Adams
We love Spring here in the Healthy Kitchen. The fresh smell of flowers fills air and a scoop of fresh Vanilla Bean Ice Cream are our favorite signs that Spring has arrived. Our Vanilla Bean Ice Cream recipe will become your favorite spring recipe and maybe even summer.
2 cups Half and half, fat free
1 cup Skim milk
¾ cup Sugar
1 each Vanilla bean
4 each Egg yolks
- Plan ahead and freeze ice cream bowl.
- In medium sauce pot, mix milks, sugar and vanilla bean.
- Warm milk mixture until about 120°F.
- Then add egg yolks to pot and whisk constantly until well mixed and cream has slightly thickened.
- Pull off heat and remain whisking or stirring for about five minutes. This avoids an opportunity for the egg yolks to scramble.
- Let milk mixture cool.
- Then place in ice cream freezer bowl, until fairly stiff.
- Enjoy with your favorite fruit or by itself.
Serving Size: ¼ cup
Calories: 100 kcal
Fat: 1.5 gm