Turkey Day Recipe Countdown: Whole Wheat Bread Stuffing
6 pieces Whole wheat bread, diced (day old is preferred)
1 Tablespoon Butter, unsalted
¼ cup Onion, diced
¼ cup Carrot, diced
¼ cup Celery, dice
1 cup Granny smith apples, peeled, and diced
1 cup Low sodium chicken broth
¼ cup Apple juice
1 Tablespoon Rosemary
2 teaspoon Thyme, fresh, chopped
¼ teaspoon Sea salt
½ teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add butter and then sauté onion, celery and carrots. Sauté mire poix for 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent and tender.
- Add apples and herbs to pan.
- In a large bowl, combine toasted bread, chicken broth, apple juice, vegetable mixture, salt and pepper.
- Arrange in a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Bake in oven for 30 to 40 minutes covered. Then uncovered for about 5 to 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the top is golden brown.
Number of Servings: 8
Serving Size: ½ cup
Fat Grams: 1.5