Healthy Recipes: Turkey Chili
2 teaspoons Olive oil
2 Cups Water
6 Cloves garlic, minced
2 cups Onion, chopped 2 cups water
1 cup Green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup Red bell pepper, chopped
1 can (16 oz.) Kidney beans, drained
24 ounces Ground turkey breast or beef tenderloin
1 ½ Tablespoons Chili powder
1 can (15 oz.) Black beans, drained
1 Tablespoon Dried oregano
1 can (14 ½ ounces) Diced tomatoes, undrained and no added salt
1 Tablespoon Unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
1 can (14 ½ ounces) Vegetable broth or stock
2 Chipotle chilies, canned in adobo sauce, minced
2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded, reduced-fat
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F
- Heat oil in saucepot.
- Add garlic, diced onion, green pepper, red pepper, kidney beans, ground turkey and chili powder.
- Stir and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add water then the next 7 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Spoon half of bean mixture into the bottom of a 13 X 9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Top with remaining bean mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 375°F.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips or one 6” corn tortilla (60 calories, 0 grams fat)
Number of servings: 12
Serving size: 1 ½ cups
Calories per serving: 214
Fat grams per serving: 3.3