Healthy Recipes: Meringue Bones with Bloody Berries
4 cups Strawberries, sliced
2 cups Raspberries, cleaned
2 Tablespoons Honey
• Preheat oven to 275°F.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
• Portion out vanilla and cream of tartar and set aside.
• In medium bowl, mix cornstarch and sugar.
• Place egg whites in large mixer bowl of standing mixer. Make sure bowl is clean and free of any debris. Use whip attachment for the whipping of the egg whites.
• Start whipping eggs on low speed while adding cream of tartar and salt, then increase speed to medium until soft peaks start to form.
• Move speed up to medium high and gradually add sugar and cornstarch mixture.
• Then add in pure vanilla extract and increase speed to high and whip until meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form. About 4 to 5 minutes.
• Pipe mixture onto prepared baking sheet, making about 20 medium sized “bones”.
• Reduce oven heat to 250°F and bake for about 50-60 minutes. Make sure bones don’t crack or start to turn tan or brown. Lower heat if this is the case by about 25 degrees.
• Prepare topping while bones are cooking. In a saucepot, add berries and honey. Cook on low-medium heat, allowing the berries to become juicy. Remove from heat and allow cooling.
• Once cooled, place ¼ of a cup of fruit in a small bowl and serve with one meringue bone.
Number of Servings: 20
Serving Size: 1 Bone