Healthy Recipes: Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
½ cup Old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup Water
2 Tablespoons Light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Canola oil
½ cup Whole wheat flour
½ cup All-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
¼ teaspoon Baking soda
¼ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
½ cup Skim milk
¼ cup Non-fat plain yogurt
1 each Mashed banana
1 each Egg
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine the oats and water.
- Microwave on high until the oats are creamy and tender; about three minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and canola oil; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon; whisk to blend.
- Add the milk, yogurt and mashed banana to the oats and stir until well blended; beat in the egg.
- Add the flour mixture to the oat mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Place a nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium heat; once hot, spoon ¼ cup pancake batter into the pan.
- Cook until the top surface of the pancake is covered with bubbles and the edges are lightly browned; about two minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining pancake batter.
- Serve with sugar free maple syrup or even bananas foster.
Chef’s Note: If cooking for one person, make recipe as normal. Let leftover pancakes cool, bag them and then freeze for a later day. Top your pancakes with fresh fruit and berries to add even more flavor!
Serving Size: 1 pancake
Carbohydrates: 11 grams
Sodium: 95 milligrams
Fiber: 1 gram
Protein: 2 grams