Healthy Recipe: Red Velvet Cupcakes
Although red velvet cake has a mild chocolate flavor, it is not, by definition, a chocolate cake. Rather, it’s a devil’s food cake that’s made with cocoa, white vinegar, baking soda, and buttermilk.
All-purpose flour 2 cups
Wheat flour ½ cup
Sugar 1 cup
Cocoa powder 1 T.
Baking soda 1 tsp.
Salt 1 tsp.
Buttermilk, nonfat 1 cup
Vegetable oil ½ cup
Plain yogurt, nonfat ½ cup
Eggs, large 2 each
Vanilla extract 1 ½ tsp.
White distilled vinegar 1 tsp.
Red food coloring 2 T.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In medium size bowl, sift all dry ingredients.
- In stand mixer bowl or other mixing bowl; add buttermilk, vegetable oil and non-fat plain yogurt.
- Alternate between adding the dry mix and the two eggs.
- Then add the vanilla extract, red food coloring, and vinegar.
- Mix until batter is well mixed; scrap the sides of the bowl to make sure all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Spray two muffin pans with non-stick pan spray or a cup cake pan.
- Pour batter as evenly as you can into each cake pan (batter will be slightly runny).
- Bake in oven for about 14 to 17 minutes.
SERVINGS 16; SERVING SIZE 1 cupcake; CALORIES 195 kcal; FAT 6gm