Healthy Recipe: GLUTEN FREE WAFFLES
Waffles are great as a sweet or savory breakfast in the morning. Unfortunately, a lot of people cannot indulge in them due to food allergies such as intolerance to gluten. However, this delicious recipe provides one gluten-free way to enjoy waffles.
3 ½ cup Rice flour
2 tsp. Kosher salt
½ cup Sugar
1 cup Ground flaxseed
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 T. Baking powder
5 each Eggs, separated
½ cup Egg substitute
3 cups Skim milk
½ cup Canola oil
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, separate the whole eggs (yolks and egg whites separate—egg whites in large metal mixing bowl). Using a hand-mixer, beat the egg whites until a stiff peak form.
- Combine the rest of the wet ingredients, including the egg yolks, and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, the batter should be a little lumpy (that is okay). Gently fold in the egg whites, in 2 separate batches, until just combined.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Add ½ cup of batter for each waffle. Allow waffle to cook as needed.
AMOUNT PER SERVING: recipe makes 16 large waffles, but serving size is ½ of waffle cut into quarters (2 quarters each)
NUTRITION: 150 calories, 6 gm fat, 19 gm carb, 1 gm fiber, 4 gm protein