H3 Recipe: Refried Beans
½ cup Onion
½ teaspoon Cumin
¼ teaspoon Oregano, dried
1 teaspoon Sea salt
4 Cups Water
Pinch Black pepper
½ Cup Bean juice (after you have cooked the beans)
2 Cups Pinto beans
- Rinse beans in colander when out of the bag.
- Then place beans in container and fill container with about four cups of water.
- Let sit overnight.
- Drain off water and re-rinse beans one more time.
- Then fill sauce pot with four cups of water and add beans.
- Cook slowly on a medium heat.
- Once beans have been cooked half way through, add salt.
- When beans are done cooking, drain off water and reserve about 1/2 cup of the bean juice.
- Mince onion in food processor.
- Sauté onions. Meanwhile place beans in food processor to make a smooth paste.
- After onions are translucent, add pureed beans, cumin, pepper, and a pinch of salt.
- Then slowly add your bean juice to adjust the consistency if a smoother consistency is desired.
Enjoy your beans in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, soups, or just as a side dish!
Number of servings: 4
Serving size: ½ cup
Fat grams: 0