Mission: Find Healthy Nutritious Meals While Traveling
It is difficult to find fresh healthy food while traveling. Between the lack of time and availability of good fresh food, we have limited choices. Trust me, this mission is possible! Often we are so focused on our arriving to our destination in a timely manner rather than concerning ourselves with our own health and well-being. However, nutrition is the key to feeling good and fresh when you arrive to your final destination.
- Communicate with your Server. Specify no butter, grilled proteins, and dressing or sauce on the side just to name a few. Many restaurants have the ability to cook items lower calorie, they just might not advertise it on the menu.
- Fruits and Vegetables! These two are important, load them on any meal. Watch any extra additions of butter or sugar. Ask to have your vegetables steamed to avoid additional butter and verify that the fruit is not stored or served in syrup.
- Water, Water, Water! Drink a lot of water throughout your busy travel day. Doing so will keep you full and satisfied longer and will keep you hydrated ensuring you arrive to your destination fresh and feeling well.
- Break the menu down. Look at what is on the restaurant’s menu and ask to have those items prepared differently for you (You are worth it!) Ask for scrambled eggs at McDonald’s, order oatmeal from Starbucks without added sugar, and grilled chicken salad on a bed of greens with dressing on the side from a corporate restaurant.
- Plan and bring a few snacks with you while traveling: Carrot sticks; baked pita chips, oranges, hard boiled eggs, and a prepared smoothie are great options to ensure that you will have something health to depend on.
Traveling can be fun, make eating healthy and nutritious a fun game while traveling. Just bob and weave through the unhealthy choices. When in doubt remember Bob Wright’s Unwise, Better, Best.
Do you accept my mission?