Hundreds of Studies Prove Mediterranean Diet the Way to Go
According the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), hundreds of scientific studies have linked the Mediterranean diet to reduced risk of heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes and other conditions. The evidence is so overwhelming that Dimitrios Trichopoulos, MD, the Vincent Gregory Professor of Cancer Prevention at the HSPH describes the Mediterranean way of eating “possibly the best ever”. A new study published on February 25th on the New England Journal of Medicines web site adds more evidence to support Dr. Trichopoiulos’ belief. In fact it might provide the strongest evidence to date. Quoted in the New York Times Rachel Johnson called the study “really impressive” Johnson, a professor of nutrition at the University of Vermont and a spokesperson for the American Heart Association added, “And what is really important – the coolest thing – is they used very meaningful endpoints. They did not look at risk factors like cholesterol or hypertension or weight. They looked at heart attacks and strokes and death. At the end of the day, that is what really matters.” The study found that participants at high risk for heart disease and stroke cut their risk by 30% by switching to the Mediterranean diet.
But what is the Mediterranean diet and is something that most people could live on. The Mediterranean diet, according the Mayo Clinic, emphasizes:
- Getting plenty of exercise
- Eating primarily plant based-based food, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains legumes and nuts
- Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive and canola
- Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
- Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
- Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
- Drinking red wine in moderation (optional)
- Enjoying meals with family and friends
If this looks familiar, it should, our guests have been enjoying this type of delicious culinary experience here at H3 for years. Including providing the meals a pleasant, family style environment with interesting, friendly people from all over the world.