H3 Recipe: Quick and Easy Soup and Sandwich
When pressed for time this holiday season and need a quick, easy, healthy and delicious dinner idea – try our Roast Beef Philly Melt and Creamy Tomato Basil soup. Warm up on a cold day with this classic comfort meal!
Roast Beef Philly Melt
4 each Whole Wheat Bread or Arnold’s Sandwich Thins Whole Wheat
2 each White onions, julienned (cut long and thin)
2 cups Button or crimini mushrooms, quartered
½ teaspoon Black pepper
½ cup Fat-free cream cheese (2 Tbsp per piece of bread)
12 each Roast beef, deli sliced thin, low sodium(3 slices per slice of bread)
4 slices Swiss cheese, reduced fat
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray and sauté onions and mushrooms. Add pepper.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese onto each slice of bread.
- Arrange three slices of roast beef over bread, then top with 1 ½ cups of onions and mushrooms.
- Then top off with slice of Swiss cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Chef’s Note: Calories will vary dependent on the type of bread used. To save a few calories, try using Arnold’s Sandwich Thins.
Number of Servings: 4
Portion Size: 1 slice
Fat Grams: 2.2
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
1 T. Olive oil
4 each Garlic cloves, minced
1 each Onion, chopped fine
1 T. Basil, dried
1 T. Oregano, dried
1 T. Sugar
½ cup Tomato concentrate
8 cups Diced tomatoes, canned
6 cups Vegetable stock, broth or water
12 leaves Fresh basil
2 cups Skim milk
1 T. Sugar (if needed in addition)
½ tsp. Salt
To taste Ground pepper
2 T. Arrowroot or cornstarch
2 T. Cold water for arrowroot or cornstarch (to thicken)
- In a large saucepan, heat to medium low and warm the oil.
- Add the garlic, onions, seasonings, sauté until lightly golden.
- Stir in the tomato concentrate
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a simmer, and stir occasionally until the tomatoes break down.
- Add fresh basil.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly and then put in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour blended soup through a fine strainer or even cheese cloth.
- Then place back into soup pot.
- Make sure to taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Bring soup back up to heat, and add your thickener of choice. Make sure soup thickens before adding next ingredient.
- Then add skim milk or half and half, to achieve the creamy color.
- Taste soup before serving to make sure it has met your taste buds satisfaction.
Number of Servings: 15
Serving Size: ½ cup
Total Calories: 75
Fat Grams: 1