H3 Recipe: Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Warm up with this comforting soup! The perfect addition to a salad or sandwhich combo – or even alone. Enjoy! Stay tuned next Monday for a sweet treat (hint: it’s a recipe you’ve all been waiting for!).
1 each Onion, chopped fine
2 each Broccoli, bundles, rinsed, cut into florets
6 cups Vegetable stock, broth or water
1 T. Onion powder
6 T. Fat free cream cheese
1 cup Half and half
¾ c. 2% Sharp cheddar cheese
½ tsp. Salt
To taste Ground pepper
2 T. Arrowroot, or cornstarch
2 T. Cold water for arrowroot or cornstarch (to thicken)
- In a large saucepan, heat to medium high and warm.
- Add the onions, sauté until translucent
- Add the vegetable stock, onion powder, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, and add broccoli florets. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, broccoli should be tender or easily speared with a fork.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add fat free cream cheese to soup, and then put in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour blended soup back into saucepot.
- Place back onto the stove and place on medium heat.
- Bring soup back up to heat, and add your thickener of choice. Make sure soup thickens before adding next ingredient.
- Add skim milk or half and half, to achieve the creamy color.
- Turn off heat and add cheese; whisk until well incorporated.
- Taste soup before serving to make sure it has enough flavor for your satisfaction.
Number of Servings: 12
Serving Size: ½ cup
Total Calories: 70
Fat Grams: 4