H3 Recipe: Butternut Squash Risotto
A recipe from last week’s Cooking Healthy: Holiday Spirit workshop!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¾ cup Aborio Rice or Brown Sushi Rice
- 1 cup Onion, finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 cup White Wine, Chablis or Chardonnay
- 2 cups Butternut squash, small cubes
- 3 cups Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1 T. Sage, fresh, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup Half and Half
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat medium size sauté pan to medium high heat. If possible, use a non-stick pan.
- Add olive oil- make sure to spread around pan
- Add diced onion, and sauté until soft
- Then add Aborio rice or brown sushi rice to pan and sauté with onions
- Continuously stir.
- Then pour in ½ cup of the chicken stock.
- Once that chicken stock gets absorbed in the rice, then add ½ cup of the white wine.
- Continue this same process until the last ½ cup of chicken stock is left.
- Add your asparagus, mushrooms and thyme into the risotto.
- Once the vegetables soften then add your last half cup of chicken stock.
- As that chicken stock gets absorbed into the rice then add your parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, then stir.
- Add half and half. This gives the risotto its creamy texture and appeal, however, you may choose to leave this out.
Chef’s Note: Many other vegetables can be used in place of the vegetables suggested such as zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, carrots, peppers, cherry tomatoes and different varieties of onions.
Serving Size: ½ cup
Fat: 5 grams