Bonus H3 Recipe: Tucson Tortilla Soup
If you are like us here in the South – you are experiencing lots of cold weather! Yesterday’s lunch was accompanied by a crowd-pleasing favorite, Tucson Tortilla Soup. A soup perfect for warming up on a wintry day and also pairs great with your favorite mexican-inspired dish. Enjoy!
1 ½ tsp. Olive oil
½ each Onion, diced large
1 ½ tsp. Minced garlic
16 oz. Diced tomatoes with their juices ½ cup Vegetable stock or broth
½ cup Green chilies, diced
3/8 tsp Baking soda
2 Tbsp. Fresh cilantro, chopped ¾ tsp. Dried oregano
¼ cup Fat free half and half
1 cup Skim milk
3 each Corn tortillas, cut into thin strips and oven baked
1 oz. 2 % Sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until lightly browned
- Add tomatoes, chilies, and stock to the pot and bring it to a simmer
- Stir in baking soda and let foam 4-5 minutes (this step is important – make sure it foams for 4-5 minutes)
- When foam subsides, stir in half and half and skim milk.
- Garnish with a pinch of cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.
- Serve and enjoy!
Number of servings: 5
Serving size: 1 cup
Fat grams: 3.5