5 Steps to Wellness
Here at Hilton Head Health, we understand the difficulty of adjusting into a healthier, fitness oriented lifestyle. That’s why we encourage our Guests to use incremental changes to help them reach their fitness and weight loss goals and wellness objectives during our weight loss program and wellness program. These small changes may not seem drastic, but they can feel like an adjustment from your normal, everyday routine. However, as those steps are continually taken, over time those small changes can lead to making bigger steps towards a healthy lifestyle. Here are 5 small steps that you can take to begin to achieve wellness, and live an overall healthy lifestyle:
1. Substitute water for carbonated and sugary beverages
- Put fruit in your water to spice things up!
- Compared to what you were drinking and what you add into the water, you could save 100-200 calories.
2. Meditate for 20-30 minutes a day
- You should meditate in quiet place while lying down in a comfortable position. Clear your head of any thoughts and listen to your body inhale and exhale.
- This will ease stress and anxiety, allow you to release the stress from your day and boost cognitive function.
3. Have fresh fruits and vegetables as snacks instead of chips, candy, etc.
- Some great options are blueberries, bananas, peaches, apples, carrots, broccoli, peppers, and celery.
- Fruits and veggies are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, which help your body fight off disease.
4. Maintain a regular sleep schedule.
- Try to wake up at the same time each morning and go to bed at the same time each night.
- Adequate sleep enriches your healthy lifestyle because this helps your mind, heart health, weight loss, weight management and more.
5. Set fitness goals for yourself.
- Encourage yourself to make SMART goals – specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-based. For example, I will work out 3 times a week this month then increase to 4 times a week next month.
- Making SMART goals will help you slowly transition into new workout routines. This will help you sustain your improved, healthy lifestyle and help you continue to reach all your wellness goals.
What are some steps that you take every day to help you achieve wellness?