Fitness Friday: H3 Summer Biking Guide
Biking is awesome exercise but you should be properly prepared before you start pedaling this summer. Use these tips and benefits so you can bike like a pro!
1. Pre-ride Checklist:
- Check your tire pressure.
- Seat Height – when standing on the ground, your seat should be at your hip height. When sitting on your bike, the leg which is extended should have a soft knee (not completely straight but not too bent either).
- Grab your helmet.
- Fill your water bottle to stay hydrated.
- Make sure you have a blinker/reflector if you’re riding at night.
- Wear bright/neon clothing on dark or rainy days.
- Plan your route before you start riding.
- Wearing headphones/earbuds is highly not recommended.
2. Sitting Properly:
- Practice good posture – sit up straight and remember to not slump over the handle bars.
- Knees should bend with your knee caps facing forward, not out to the sides.
- Knees should never hyperextend, always keep a slight bend at full extension.
3. Riding Etiquette:
- Ride in the same direction of traffic.
- If there is a bike lane, USE IT.
- Use signals to indicate turns and stops.
- Follow all traffic signals.
- Always pass on the left, and verbally communicate when passing: “coming up on your left” or “passing on your left”.
- Be predictable. Make drivers, other bikers and pedestrians aware of your actions.
- Give yourself space between other bikers, pedestrians, and cars.
4. Benefits of biking:
- Reduces CO2 emissions.
- Strengthens your quads, hamstrings, calves and abdominals.
- Low impact exercise with less wear and tear on your joints.
- Get great exercise and take some time for yourself while riding to and from work!
- Increase energy AND boost endorphins!
- Biking is a cardio workout, therefore, strengthening the heart and improving oxygen exchange to the whole body.
Get out and RIDE!! Enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful environment around you!