Fall comfort food recipes are some of our favorite recipes to make, here in the H3 Healthy Kitchen. Hearty, rich flavor shouldn’t be compromised when making healthy comfort food. A perfect warm recipe for the cool fall evenings.
2 tsp Olive oil
2 cups Onion, chopped
6 each Garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup Red bell pepper, chopped
1 ½ T Chili powder
1 T Oregano, dried
1 T Unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp Cumin, ground
2 cups Water
1 ½ cups Bulgur wheat
1 can (16 ounces )Kidney beans, drained
1 can (15 ounces) Black beans, drained
1 can (14 ½ ounces)Diced tomatoes (undrained, no salt added)
1 can (14 ½ ounces) Vegetable broth or stock
2 pieces Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, minced
2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded, reduced fat
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in saucepot.
- Add diced onion and the next seven ingredients to the saucepot.
- Stir and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add water and next six ingredients.
- Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat then simmer uncovered for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Spoon half of bean mixture into the bottom of a 13 X 9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Top with remaining bean mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 375°F.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
Serving size: 1 ½ cups
Fat: 3.3 grams