Nothing says summertime like smooth, creamy ice cream! But it can be difficult to stay on a healthy track with all the extra fat and calories in average ice cream brands. Since summertime is right around the corner, we decided to share our Healthy Kitchen Skinny Strawberry ice cream recipe. The fresh fruit and touch of honey gives the perfect sweetness without adding excess calories from processed sugar. You can have all the delicious flavor of this summertime favorite without any of the guilt.
2 pounds Strawberries, chopped
2 cups Skim-milk
1 cup Half and half
¾ cup Honey
½ tablespoon Vanilla extract
4 each Egg yolks
• Plan ahead and freeze your ice cream bowl.
• Place chopped strawberries in a blender, blend until smooth.
• In a large sauce pan on medium-low heat combine: strawberries, half and half, skim milk, 1/3 cup honey, and vanilla extract.
• Whisk constantly. Warm milk mixture to about 120 degrees.
• In a separate bowl combine egg yolks and remaining honey then whisk.
• Once milk mixture is warmed, slowly drizzle milk mixture into egg mixture whisking constantly. *This method is called tempering; slowly warm the egg mixture to avoid scrambling eggs.
• Once egg mixture has warmed and about half of the milk mixture is added; add the entire milk mixture and the egg mixture together in a large sauce pan on the stove top. Turn to medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
• Allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
• Pour strawberry mixture into frozen ice cream bowl and churn until fairly firm.
• Remove from ice cream bowl and place in an airtight container in the freezer.
• Enjoy on a hot summer day!
Serving Size: ¼ cup
Fat: 2 grams