Summer is here and picnics are a fun summer staple for beach days, soccer games or a day at the park! Celebrating summer in the sun does not mean wreaking havoc on your nutrition for the day! Here are easy tweaks from our Healthy Kitchen that your friends and family will appreciate.
Alcohol and desserts, for example, are two items we tend to over indulge in when living in the moment and basking in the sun. A little goes a long way, remember moderation when indulging. Try healthier desserts like, our great Lemon Bar recipe below; it’s lower in calories, full of flavor and travels well.
Fruits and Vegetables
Warm weather brings juicy flavorful fruits and vegetables, eat them! Fill your picnic basket with watermelon, cherries, zucchini, and peaches. Preparing tasty dishes with fruits and vegetables can be simple; make a fruit salad, add extra diced vegetables to your favorite potato salad, and pack a large salad topped with blueberries a pungent goat cheese and a light vinaigrette.
Turn up the Heat
Grilling is one of the most flavorful, healthful, and simple cooking methods. Toss ¼ teaspoon of olive oil and 1 cup of vegetables with a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl, and grill until desired doneness. Adding a deep smoky flavor to vegetables such as peppers, onions, or mushrooms will add variety to your picnic. Don’t forget to grill some healthy proteins; brush these proteins with a little H3 BBQ to brighten up the flavor; salmon, shrimp, skinless chicken, or pork tenderloin.
Dips and Spreads
Edamame hummus, salsas, guacamole, peanut butter hummus, and yogurt based dips are great dips and spreads for a healthy pack and go picnic. Substitute these items for mayonnaise, ketchup, or cheese based dips to add nutrients, reduce calories, and load up on flavor. Eliminate chips for dipping, dip with vegetable sticks (carrots, bell peppers, celery) or whole wheat baked pita chips.
These little tweaks will make your next pack and go picnic easier and healthier. Don’t forget to pack lots of water and have a blast!
½ cup Sugar, granulated
6 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
4 Tablespoons Applesauce, unsweetened
2 cups Flour
6 each Eggs, large
1 ½ cups Sugar, granulated
4 teaspoons Lemon Zest, fresh
½ cup Lemon juice, fresh
6 tablespoons Flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the ½ cup sugar, applesauce and butter together on a medium speed until creamy.
- On a low speed, slowly add in the 2 cups of flour.
- Gently press this mixture across the bottom of a greased 16 inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the 6 eggs on medium until foamy.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients: sugar, zest, juice, flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour this filling over the crust and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Set aside, cool and serve.
Fat: 3.5 grams